If you love to add natural touches to your home, this DIY mobile is just for you. Made with origami cranes and a large stick, this project can add a beautiful, wistful vibe to your living room, child’s bedroom or nursery. Plus, it’s inexpensive and easy to make.
The hardest part will be choosing which papers to use!
- Large stick
- 6 in (15 cm) wallpaper or thin paper squares (5)
- White thread
- Sewing needle
- Florist’s wire
- Washi tape
1. Take a stick approximately 47 in (119.38 cm) long; this is perfect for five cranes to be set about 8 in (20.32 cm) apart and, most importantly, not too heavy to hang from the ceiling with a few strips of washi tape.
2. To make the cranes, take five 6 in (15 cm) squares of your wallpaper (or thin paper) and follow the instructions in this video. It’s perfectly pitched at beginners, so it’s worth watching if you don’t have any origami skills.
3. Using a sewing needle, pierce the top of each crane and run white cotton thread through. Tie in a loop, ready to be hung off the stick. Tip: It’s more visually appealing to make the looped threads at different lengths, so that the cranes don’t hang in a uniform row.
Tip: It’s more visually appealing to make the looped threads at different lengths, so that the cranes don’t hang in a uniform row.
4. Using florist’s wire, fashion two twisted loops and place the ends of the sticks in them.
5. Hang the mobile from the ceiling, using strips of washi tape on each end.
6. Stand back and admire your handiwork!
If you’re looking for a crafty way to spruce up your space and maybe even impress your friends with your mad origami skills, this easy origami crane mobile DIY is the way to go!
Not only will you have a stylish decoration to hang, but you’ll also have the satisfaction of knowing you created it with your own two hands.
Plus, who knows, maybe you’ll even pick up some new crane-folding pickup lines to impress that special someone – “Hey baby, I may not be a bird, but I can fold a mean crane!”