Displaying your favorite photos in your home can be a great way to add a personal touch to your décor. But buying picture frames can be expensive, and finding the perfect frame to match your style and size can be challenging.
That’s why DIY picture frames are a great solution! Here’s how to make your own in just a few simple steps.
- Miter saw
- Measuring tape
- Wood glue
- Paint or stain (optional)
- 1×2 wood boards (or another size depending on your preference)
- Glass or clear plastic sheeting
- Backing board
- Sawtooth hangers
- Small nails
- Determine the size of your frame: Measure the picture or artwork you want to display and add a half-inch to each side for the frame overlap. For example, if your picture is 8×10, you’ll want a frame that’s 9×11.
- Cut the wood boards to size: Use a miter saw to cut the wood boards to the desired length for each side of the frame. Make sure to cut the ends at a 45-degree angle so they fit together seamlessly.
- Glue the frame together: Apply wood glue to the angled ends of the boards and press them together to form the frame. Use clamps to hold the corners together as the glue dries.
- Sand the frame: Once the glue is dry, use sandpaper to smooth any rough edges or excess glue.
- Paint or stain (optional): If you want to add some color or texture to your frame, you can paint or stain it at this point. Make sure to let the paint or stain dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- Attach the backing board: Cut a piece of backing board to fit the size of your frame and attach it to the back using small nails.
- Add the glass or plastic sheeting: Cut a piece of glass or clear plastic sheeting to the size of your frame and place it on top of the backing board.
- Install the sawtooth hangers: Attach sawtooth hangers to the back of the frame, one on each side.
- Hang your picture: Finally, hang your picture on the wall by attaching the sawtooth hangers to hooks or nails.
Congratulations, you have made your own picture frame! Repeat these steps to create a collection of frames to display throughout your home.
These DIY picture frames are a cost-effective and customizable way to showcase your favorite memories and artwork.